This section is a directory of vegan-friendly accommodation in South Africa. Hotels, lodges, B&Bs, guesthouses, rest camps, resorts, hostels, backpackers - all of these places to stay prepare vegan breakfasts.
Key: Vn - predominantly vegan, but some vegetarian; Vg - predominantly vegetarian, but some vegan; MF - meat and fish also served; VnA - vegan breakfast always available; VnR - vegan breakfast on request; Ry - other restaurants in the immediate vicinity; Rn - no other restaurants in the immediate vicinity.
Select an accommodation region from the list above.
Listings Criteria for Vegan-friendly Places to Stay
In this section we list out accommodations that are suitable for vegans in South Africa. Our dual purpose is to promote places to stay that cater for vegans, whilst also providing a useful guide for South African vegans searching for accommodation. Our listings service is free of charge.
To qualify for a listing on our site as a vegan-friendly accommodation, a business must have:
- For fixed menu breakfasts - a choice of at least 3 different vegan breakfast options; or
- For breakfasts not on the menu - at least 6 vegan items (coffee/tea counts only if soy milk is available, toast counts only if vegan margarine is available).
For some practical ideas for simple and inexpensive vegan breakfast items that you can use, take a look at our: vegan breakfasts.
Additional requirements for accommodations only in locations with no other dining options available (see key code 'Rn' above):
- 2 vegan starters and 2 vegan main courses on its menu (can include 1 salad each course); or
- For dining options that are not on the menu - 1 vegan starter and 1 vegan main course, but that is changed daily.
- 3 vegan starters and 3 vegan main courses on its menu (can include 1 salad each course); or
- For dining options that are not on the menu - 1 vegan starter and 1 vegan main course, but that's changed daily.
If your South African hotel or place to stay meets these criteria and you would like to be listed here, we'll gladly reward you with a free listing. Contact us now to get your vegan-friendly business listed and help promote veganism in South Africa.
Stand out from the crowd: Make your accommodation get noticed by making use of our advertising and social media promotion opportunities.
Notes: our criteria covers the provision of food only. We have made no requirements with respect to other aspects of accommodation such as bedding, toiletries, cleaning materials, etc., as we consider that any such requirements would be too ambiguous and onerous. If you are concerned about any of these issues, then for your own assurance we suggest that you bring your own.
All of these South African accommodations are suitable for vegetarians, and many are likely to have more vegetarian options than the minimum number detailed in the criteria above.
Follow the latest changes to our accommodation directory in our Vegan SA Blog.
"Vegan SA, your site is wonderful and wow I'm ecstatic - there is sooo much I can eat and now shopping has just been made easier. Thank you!!" - Virginia Greenwood-Warner, Western Cape