Adien's Cheeseless Cheesecake
A vegan cheesecake recipe made from digestives and silken tofu.
7 vegan digestive biscuits (you may use any plain, sweetened wholemeal biscuits that are vegan, if you are unable to find these)
½ cup walnuts
½ cup Cardin margarine or coconut oil melted
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of half a lemon
Pinch of salt
1 packet (349g) firm silken tofu
1 heaped tsp poppy seeds
2 Tbsp agave syrup
1 Tbsp icing sugar, or confectioner's sugar
½ cup of soya cream or other thin vegan cream
2½ Tbsp cornflower with ¾ cup water or vegan milk
Juice of a large lemon
Sliced kiwifruit for decoration
- To make the base, grease an 8 inch tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Then break the digestive biscuits into a processor, and process until crumbs are formed. Add the melted vegan butter or coconut oil to the biscuit crumbs, and process for a half a minute. Next, add the walnuts and process until chopped into small bits. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, and process again for a few seconds. Your base is now ready. Spoon the mixture into your lined container, and flatten evenly with your fingers and the palms of your hands, and place in the fridge for an hour or so, until set.
- To make the filling, place the tofu into your processor and add the poppy seeds, agave syrup, icing sugar and soya cream. Process gently for a minute or so, until the ingredients are blended and smooth.
- Next, make up a paste with the cornflour, lemon juice and water, then stir on a low heat until thick. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then add the cornflour paste to the tofu mixture in the food processor, and process for a few seconds until blended; but don't over-process.
- Spoon the lemon filling onto the biscuit base with a plastic spatula and even out as best you can. Now add the sliced kiwifruit on top, to decorate.
- Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator overnight. Serve from the tin with the greaseproof paper, which remains intact. The advantage of this is that the tin doesn't get scratched and no paper gets stuck on the biscuit base.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Toni Brockhoven, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews