Apple & Spice Breakfast Lentils
A delicious recipe fthat uses lentils for breakfast. The spices, apples, syrup and vanilla coconut milk provide the flavour and sweetness.
This recipe uses red lentils as they cook faster than green or brown lentils, have a milder taste, yet are packed full of nutrients. They are a great source of fibre and protein, and also possess iron, folate and manganese.
1 cup red lentils (soak them for about 4 hours; it makes them a little easier on the digestive system)
3 cups brewed red rooibos tea
2 de-cored and diced apples
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
Maple syrup, to taste
Dairy-free vanilla coconut milk
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Soak the lentils for about 4 hours; it makes them a little easier to digest.
- Once the lentils have been drained, place them in a pot with the brewed tea.
- Bring to a low boil and then reduce the heat to 'low-medium' and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the diced apple and spices. Cook for another 30 to 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Ladle about half a cup into each of 4 small serving bowls.
- Drizzle each with a bit of maple syrup and splash with a generous amount of coconut milk. The dish is now ready to serve.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Lee Webster, Manchester, United Kingdom
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews