Apple Sauce Snack Cake
Apple lovers, this recipe's for you. Apples have vitamin C and a dietary fibre called pectin, and regular consumption may reduce the risk of colon cancer, prostate cancer and lung cancer. Apple peels are a source of various phytochemicals and possible antioxidant activity in vitro.
1 cup cake flour
1 cup wholewheat pastry flour or 2 cups cake flour
1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
¼ tsp dried ginger
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
½ cup raisins
½ cup canola or sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Sieve all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Mix the brown sugar and oil into the applesauce, and add that to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl along with the raisins.
- Stir just until no trace of flour is left, and then pour into the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake just passes the toothpick test.
- Do not undercook as it will then be gummy due to the low oil content.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes then turn out onto rack to finish cooling.
- When totally cold, cut with a serrated knife into bars or squares.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Also freezes well.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram , Johannesburg, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews