Asian Spiced Veggie Burger Curry
This recipe is a South African / Indian influenced curry that uses ingredients that are typically available in South African supermarkets/groceries.
It was a finalist entry from the 2013 Fry's Vegetarian Curry Cook-off Competition.
1 box meat free Asian spiced burgers, cubed
6 bitter gourd (karela)
30 ml oil
1 finely chopped onion
2 diced medium green chillies
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 piece crushed ginger
1 Tbsp masala
½ tsp each turmeric powder & jeera powder
1 can diced tomatoes
3 Tbsp tamarind juice
3 curry leaves
- Scrape out the bitter gourd. Slit the middle halfway and remove seeds. Rinse and leave to dry.
- Heat the oil. Add the onions, green chillies, garlic and ginger. Fry for 2 minutes, then add the spices. Add the canned tomatoes and tamarind juice. Place the lid on the pot and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add the cubed Asian spiced burgers, curry leaves and salt to taste. Garnish with coriander.
- Fill the bitter gourd with curry and tie with a piece of cotton to prevent it from sagging downwards. Place on a greased oven tray and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C.
- Garnish with coriander, mint and spring onions. Serve with savoury rice.
Serves 3 people
Recipe supplied by Metisha Indurjith, Region not supplied, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews