Asparagus Risotto with Oyster Mushrooms and Ginger
Risotto is a class of Italian rice dishes cooked in broth to a creamy consistency. Many types of risotto contain wine and onion. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy. Risotto is normally a first course, served on its own before the main course.
This vegan rissoto recipe can be made gluten-free.
5½ cups vegetable stock
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce (for gluten-free use Tamari)
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
250g fresh green asparagus
150g fresh oyster mushrooms
2 tsp dark sesame oil
4 cloves minced garlic
¼ tsp dried red chili flakes
½ medium diced red pepper
1/8 tsp salt
¼ cup dry sherry
2 tsp olive oil
1½ cups Arborio rice
3 minced spring onions
- Heat the stock, ginger and soy sauce in a saucepan until just steaming and keep this broth handy near the stove.
- Discard the tough ends of the asparagus and chop at a slant into 1" pieces. Rinse the mushrooms, pat dry and chop coarsely.
- In a large pan, heat the sesame oil over a medium heat. Add half the garlic and the red chili flakes and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the red pepper, asparagus and salt.
- Sauté for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in the mushrooms and sherry and cover pan tightly.
- Remove from heat and set aside with the lid on.
- In another large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the remaining garlic for 1 minute, add the rice and stir to coat with the oil and garlic.
- Add one cup of broth to the rice and stir gently until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the remaining broth ½ cup at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting until the liquid is absorbed before each addition.
- When the last addition of broth has been absorbed and the rice is creamy and tender, stir in the asparagus and mushrooms, along with any pan juices.
- Heat through for 1 minute.
- Transfer to warmed bowls and sprinkle with the spring onions.
- Serve very hot.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Johannesburg, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews