Aubergines are also known as eggplants or brinjals, and originate from India. Linguine are long, narrow, flat pasta noodles used in Italian cooking. Prepare the marinated aubergines well in advance so that when you are ready to eat, all you have to do is cook the pasta.
400g dried linguine
450g peeled and thinly sliced aubergines
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
150 ml vegetable stock
150 ml white wine vinegar
1 Sprig fresh oregano
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp diced red pepper
2 Tbsp finely chopped roasted almonds
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
Grated rind and juice from 1 orange
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 Tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Put the vegetable stock, white wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar into a saucepan and bring to the boil over a low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the sprig of oregano, and simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Add the aubergine slices, remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade: combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully remove the aubergine from the saucepan with a draining spoon, and drain well. Add the aubergine slices to the marinade, mixing well to coat. Cover with clingfilm and set aside in the fridge for about 12 hours.
- Cook the pasta. Drain thoroughly and toss with the remaining oil while still warm. Arrange the pasta on a serving plate with the aubergine slices and marinade, and serve immediately.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Katrina Jordaan, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
2 Comments / Reviews