Blondie also known as a "blond brownie" or "blondie bar" is a rich, sweet dessert bar and may have a taste reminiscent of butterscotch. Blondies resemble the traditional chocolate brownie, but are based on brown sugar instead of cocoa; they are sometimes referred to as blonde brownies.
This recipe used chickpea which is very good source of zinc, folate and protein. Chickpeas are low in fat and most of this is polyunsaturated. Recent studies have also shown that they can assist in lowering cholesterol.
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
¾ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla extract (start with one, depending on the strength of your extract)
¼ cup ground flax seed (preferably golden flax)
¼ cup cashew butter or peanut butter
½ cup chocolate chips or chopped dairy-free chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spray or grease an 8"x8" square pan.
- In a food processor or medium bowl using a sturdy immersion blender, mix together all the ingredients (apart from the chocolate chips) and blend very well until smooth and no visible chickpeas remain. The batter will then be very thick.
- Mix in chips and stir well.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and smooth to level.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes, check with toothpick or cake tester after 10 minutes, depending on your oven.
- You want to remove them when they still look a bit undercooked.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then cut with a spatula or non stick cake divider into 12 portions.
- After another 10-15 minutes, remove the slices from the pan and leave to cool completely on a rack.
- They can be frozen in zip lock bags for up to a month.
- Good to serve as an accompaniment to some non-dairy vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
- Do not tell anyone about the chickpeas until they have eaten at least one blondie!
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Johannesburg, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews