Blueberry and Banana Muffins
American muffins such as this one grew in popularity with the advent of the gourmet coffee shop culture. There are many varieties and flavours such as blueberry, chocolate chip, cinnamon, pumpkin, date nut, lemon, banana, orange, peach, strawberry, almond and carrot. These ingredients are then baked into the muffin. They are delicious when served fresh from the oven.
3 ripe bananas
¾ cup fresh or pre-frozen but thawed blueberries
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2½ cups flour
½ cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp non-dairy margarine
¼ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350F.
- Mash the bananas with the oil and sugar in a medium size bowl and mix well.
- Sift together the salt, baking soda, and 2 cups of flour in a small bowl.
- Add the sifted mixture to the banana mix and stir by hand until they are thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the blueberries and pour into a lined muffin pan.
- Combine the remaining ½ cup of flour, brown sugar, and the non-dairy margarine in a small bowl. Stir until the mixture forms coarse crumbs, then sprinkle the crumbs onto the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 25 minutes.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Jane Tindell, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews