Vegan Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is a bread-based dessert popular in many countries' cuisines, including Argentina, Canada, Cuba, Ireland, Malta, Mexico, Slovakia, Puerto Rico, India (Double ka Meetha) the United Kingdom and other parts of Western Europe, as well as the Creole people and others in the southern USA.
There is no fixed recipe, but it is usually made using stale (usually left-over) bread, and some combination of ingredients like milk, egg, sugar or syrup, dried fruit, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, mace or vanilla. Thsi vegan bred pudding lacks for nothing in taste.
It may be served with a sweet sauce, such as a whiskey sauce, rum sauce, or caramel sauce, but is typically sprinkled with sugar and eaten warm in squares or slices. Sometimes bread pudding is served warm topped with or alongside a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Half of loaf bread, cut into 1-inch (2½ cm) squares
½ cup soya milk
3 mashed bananas
¾ cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup raisins (soaked overnight in ¼ cup whisky)
¼ tsp allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp melted vegan margarine
- Soak the bread in soya milk in a large mixing bowl. Press with hands until well mixed and all the soya milk is absorbed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, sugar, vanilla, and spices. Gently stir into the bread mixture.
- Pour the vegan margarine into the bottom of a baking pan. Coat the bottom and the sides of the pan well with the margarine.
- Pour in half of the bread mixture and half of the soaked raisins. Add the remaining bread mixture and top with the remaining raisins.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35-45 minutes, until set. The pudding is done when the edges start getting a bit brown and pull away from the edge of the pan.
- Serve with vegan rum and raisin ice cream, custard or any favourite sauce. Best fresh and eaten the day it is made.
- You can also make this pudding in individual ramekins.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews