For a healthy, protein-packed start to your day, try this vegan variation of a famous Mexican dish. You can customize these burritos for your individual tastes with salsa, soy cheese, guacamole, shredded lettuce and other salad items.
175g crumbled faux sausage
1 cup finely chopped vegetables of your choice (e.g. tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and capsicum peppers)
450g crumbled firm tofu
½ finely diced onion
1 clove minced garlic
1/8 tsp turmeric
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Optional hot chilli sauce
- Place the tortillas between 2 wet paper towels, wrap them in foil and heat them in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes at 90°C.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tofu, vegetables, turmeric, and salt and pepper, and continue to cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- In another large frying pan, heat the remaining vegetable oil, add the faux sausage and cook until brown.
- Add the sausage to the tofu mixture and stir in.
- Spoon the mixture into the tortillas, fold them up, and serve immediately with spicy sauce.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Jane Tindell, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews