A vegan muffin recipe using one of South Africa's favourite vegetables - the butternut.
2 cups cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup roasted/boiled/steamed and mashed butternut (1 small butternut)
⅓ cup canola or sunflower oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1¼–1½ cups apple juice/water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and flour a large 6 muffin baking tray, or a smaller 12 muffin baking tray.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, using a whisk.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, mix together the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture, add the wet. Stir well to amalgamate everything. If the mixture is very dry, add a little more water or juice, the consistency must be just pourable, but not sloppy.
- Spoon the mixture out equally into your chosen muffin tray.
- Sprinkle a little treacle sugar over the top (actually, any sugar works, but the rich, crumbly sweetness of treacle sugar works well).
- Bake for about 25–30 minutes, until the tops are crusty and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
- You can ice them with an orange glaze, or a sprinkle of powdered sugar... or eat as is.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Mellissa Bushby, Nelspruit, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews