This is a very simple family dish made from cauliflower and potatoes; it is gluten-free.
The recipe is adapted from one by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
2 large russet potatoes (a favourite potato suitable for mashing), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 Tbsp olive oil
2-4 Tbsp gluten-free vegetable broth (Nature's Choice stock powder)*
½ tsp salt
Several pinches freshly ground black pepper
* for that amount of actual broth use about ½ tsp of the veggie broth powder mixed with boiling water.
- Place the potatoes in a very large (4-quart) pot in enough cold water to submerge them, making sure there are about 4 inches of extra water on top for when you add the cauliflower.
- Bring the potatoes to the boil. Once boiling, add the cauliflower and lower the heat to a simmer.
- Let simmer for about 10 -15 minutes (check after 10), until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Drain them in a colander, return them to the pot, and use a potato masher to mash them a bit.
- Add the olive oil, 2 tablespoons of broth and the salt and pepper and mash a bit more. Use a fork to make sure all the seasonings are mixed well. If needed, add another 2 tablespoons of broth.
- Add salt to taste.
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeestport, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews