Cheeseless Cheese Sauce
This is a great sauce to use for Mac and cheese, with caulifower, or any veggies - quick and easy to make and very yummy. Nutritional yeast is a non-active yeast and can be used by anyone - even if you have candida. Just make sure you use Unsweetened non-dairy milk :).
2 Tbsp vegan margarine (Cardin has no trans fats or milk solids)
2 Tbsp unbleached flour
1 cup soy milk, unsweetened (can use Woolies)
¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
1-2 Tbsp tahini
1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice (start with one and taste before adding more)
½ tsp onion granules (optional)
¼ tsp garlic granules (optional)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
Good pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt (can use Trocomare or Herbamare) to taste
- Check that you are using UNSWEETENED milk!! Do not attempt to make this with normal soya milk – it has sweetener in it and this sauce will taste dreadfull.
- Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir well with a wooden spoon over medium heat. Watch for burning!
- Cook the flour for at least a minute until the mix looks frothy and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the soy milk, stirring all the time and keep stirring off the heat until all the liquid has been incorporated into the mixture and there are no lumps. Return to low heat and stir until thickened. This is a basic white sauce.
- Add in the nutritional yeast and remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Serve hot.
- This recipe can easily be doubled for more servings.
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Pretoria, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews