Cherry Almond Muffins
Muffins are great as a dessert at meal times or as a breakfast or brunch item. This cherry almond muffin recipe is gluten-free.
2 cups cake flour
2 Tbsp almond flour/meal
1 Tbsp golden flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
1 Tbsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
¾ cup sugar plus 1 Tbsp for sprinkling
1 cup non dairy milk, divided
⅓ cup canola oil
2 tsp pure almond extract/essence
¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
⅔ cup dried cherries soaked in ½ cup boiling water for 10 minutes, then chopped small (can substiture cranberries if you can't find cherries – cranberries do not need to be soaked or chopped)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease/spray muffin tin.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk flour, baking powder, almond meal, salt and flax seeds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, half of the non-dairy milk, canola oil, almond extract and apple sauce until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time, alternating with the remaining non-dairy milk, whisking until just combined and there no large lumps. Stir the well-drained and chopped cherries into the batter.
- Divide the mixture into 12 muffin cups of the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the tops of the muffins. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until tester comes out clean. Check after 10 minutes if you have a fan-assisted oven.
- Remove from the tray when you can handle them (about 5 minutes) and put on a rack to finish cooling.
- Recipe adapted from one by Julie Hasson.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeestport, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews