If you're a bit of a sweet tooth, one of the most difficult parts of a vegan diet can be finding cakes since almost all cake recipes require eggs, milk or other dairy products.
This recipe is for a cake in the popular Italian tradition when expensive ingredients couldn't often be used. It is a perfect cake for breakfast or as an original dessert after dinner.
500g chestnut flour
1 glass oil (soy, olive, whatever)
1 litre water
4 tsp sugar
- Put the raisins in a bowl with warm water. Allow to soak.
- In a pot or big bowl, put the oil and the chestnut flour. Mix and add water until it is all mixed in.
- The mix should now look like a fluid cream. Pass the fluid through a filter to take out any impurity, add 4 teaspoons of sugar and a bit of salt.
- Pour the cream into a cake pan and top it with the drained raisins.
- Heat the oven to 200°C, put the cake in and bake for about 1 hour.
- Serve cold.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Diego Bianchi, Lake Como, Italy
Show Comments / Reviews
1 Comments / Reviews