Chewy Double Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookies
This is a gluten-free recipe for chocolate and nut cookies, using only vegan ingredients that are easily sourced in South Africa.
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
½ Cup soy milk
2½ C cake flour
¾ Cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 Cup light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
¾ Cup sunflower or canola oil
100g cold Albany chocolate, grated on large grater
½ Cup chopped Macadamia nuts
- Pre-heat an oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare some baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the flax seeds with milk in a small bowl and leave for 5 minutes.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into large bowl. Mix in cold grated chocolate, sugar and nuts to the dry mix.
- Add the oil, vanilla and flaxseed mix to dry ingredients and mix carefully. The mixture will now be crumbly.
- When all the dry ingredients are mixed in, take walnut-sized pieces, knead in your hands for a few seconds and roll into balls. Place on baking sheets. You should make 36 so if you have less your pieces are too large. Carefully flatten the balls slightly. The cookies do not spread that much. Bake for 8–10 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Remove from the oven and place on a baking sheet in a cold or at least cool place (can use the floor) for a few minutes to set.
- Carefully remove the cookies from the baking trays using a spatula and finish cooling them on racks.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Can be frozen in zip lock bags with air removed (use a straw).
Serves 36 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeestport, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews