Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter is a family favourite, as too are cookies. So what better than to combine them both to make peanut butter cookies! This recipe is vegan.
1½ cups finely ground oats or oat flour*
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup natural unsalted peanut butter
2 Tbsp water
½ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup light brown sugar
⅔ cup non-dairy margarine
* Grind normal oats in a clean coffee mill or dry blender to make the flour. If you are going to make these often then grind a larger amount of oats at one time and store in a sealed container.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir in the ground oats and set aside.
- Use an electric mixer (or strong arms!) to beat the peanut butter and water together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add sugar juice and non-dairy margarine and beat until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and beat on a low speed just until completely blended.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets.
- Press a crisscross pattern onto the tops of cookies with the tines of a dinner fork.
- Bake until the tops are lightly browned but cookies are still slightly soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on racks.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for several days. They can also be frozen in sealed zip lock bag.
Serves 36 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeestport, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
1 Comments / Reviews