Chickpea, Squash and Couscous Salad with a Black Olive Dressing
Couscous is the staple starch food of North Africa, made from semolina (tiny duram wheat balls). It is thought to originate from the Berbers of the western Nile Valley.
This healthy salad also makes use squash, chick peas and olives.
For the salad dressing:
1/3 cup black calamata olives
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup couscous
3 cups sliced squash, different varieties
2 tbsp olive oil
2 crushed cloves garlic
2 tsp chopped dill
1 can rinsed and drained chickpeas
Salt and milled black pepper
Finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Bring the vegetable stock to boil, stirring in the couscous. Cover tightly and turn off the heat. Allow to stand for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sautee the squash, stirring often, until barely tender. Stir in the garlic and dill and add salt and pepper.
- Mix together the black olive dressing ingredients
- then combine the dressing with the couscous, squash and chickpeas.
- Use a fork to separate the grains. Sprinkle with parsely.
Variation: try with mint and green olives.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Claudia Miceli, Muizenberg, Cape Town
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews