Chilled Summer Soup
This is an awesome chilled vegan Summer Soup. Gone are the days when a chilled soup would be returned to the kitchen to be warmed up.
700g baby beets
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Peel and slice the beetroots and put them in a large pot.
- Cover with 4-5 cups of water and add the garlic, red onion, bay leaf, cloves, cayenne, sugar, vinegar, oil and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the beets are tender.
- Check the seasoning of the broth. It should be distinctly sweet, sour, peppery and flavourful. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and cayenne if necessary, and freshly ground pepper. Cool slightly.
- Cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf.
- Purée the soup well in a blender, then strain into a large bowl.
- Chill in the refrigerator or over ice until cold.
- To serve, pour into small water glasses. Garnish with freshly ground pepper and, if desired, fresh fennel or vegan Parmasan.
Serves 3 people
Recipe supplied by Pieter Kotzé, Langebaan, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews