Chocolate, Pecan & Raspberry Muffins
A vegan recipe for sweet-tooths, muffins full of rich flavours.
1½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup cocoa
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
¼ cup warm water
¾ cup sugar
1 cup soy milk
⅓ cup canola/sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans
2-3 Tbsp fruit sweetened red raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a medium bowl mix the flax seeds with the warm water and stir well. Leave for 5 minutes while you continue with the recipe.
- Spray a 12 portion muffin tin.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl. Then use a whisk to mix again. Add in the sugar and stir.
- Chop the pecan nuts into chunky pieces and add to the flour mixture.
- Add vanilla extract to the flax mixture and stir well. Add the soy milk and mix again. Add the oil and mix once more.
- Once the oven has come to temperature, add the wet mix to the dry and stir until mixed. Do not overmix as this will develop the gluten.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins to cover the bottom of each indent.
- Drop about half a teaspoon of jam on top of the batter in each indent. Distribute the rest of the batter evenly among the muffin indents.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes (check after 10 minutes if using a fan-assisted oven).
- Cool in pan for about 2 minutes then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, they can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeesport, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews