Chocolate Chip & Cranberry Buttermilk Rusks
An old South African favourite breakfast or snack food - buttermilk rusks.
2 Tbsp freshly ground flaxseeds
6 Tbsp hot water
500 ml soy or almond milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup of coconut oil
1 kg self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp aniseed
1 cup sugar
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Mix the flaxseeds with hot water and let rest for a while.
- Mix the soy/almond milk with lemon juice and let it rest for a while.
- Melt 1 cup of coconut oil.
- Mix all the other ingredients together separately.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients.
- Shape round balls and pack in prepared bread pans (single layer). Give the balls a slight lift to a square shape. Fill the pans half way to the top.
- Brush a mixture of water and syrup on top of the buns and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 160°C.
- Let it cool down and break in smaller pieces or slice. Pack on baking trays and dry in an oven for about 5 hours set at 60°C.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Pieter Kotzé, Langebaan, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews