Chocolate Chunk Bran Muffins
A sumptuous recipe for vegan muffins, chocolate, bran and apple sauce flavoured!
1½ cups wheat bran
1½ cups non-dairy milk
1 cup wholewheat pastry flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup water
1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
⅔ cup dark unbleached sugar
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp canola or sunflower oil
1 cup pitted dates chopped into small pieces
100g dark chocolate (can use Albany) chopped into small chunks (all crumbs to be included)
- Preheat the oven to 205°C.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Soak the bran and milk together in a medium bowl for 15 minutes. Yes it will look like sawdust.
- Mix the ground flaxseeds with the water and stir. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sieve the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in the chopped dates, sugar and chocolate chips.
- Add the remaining ingredients (oil and applesauce) to the blended flaxseed mixture and stir well.
- After the bran has soaked for 15 minutes, add the wet ingredient mix to the bowl, stirring briefly. Dump in the dry mix and stir briefly.
- Scoop evenly into the prepared muffin tin and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Loosen the muffins carefully with a knife or spatula and set them on their sides in their muffin cups to cool for 1–2 minutes.
- Remove from tin and place on cooling rack to finish cooling. Let the muffins sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- These vegan chocolate bran muffins are very moist when just taken from the oven, but firm upon standing, and remain moist the next day. Cool thoroughly and store in a closed plastic bag or container. They will keep moist for 2 or 3 days.
- They also freeze well.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews