Chocolate Fudge Brownies
You'll love to make these for non-vegans. They're always amazed that something so seriously scrumptious can be egg-less and milk-less. Melt a bar of dark chocolate over the top for added richness when making them as a gift. Don't worry about how long they keep ... they tend to get eaten up quickly.
You can also use this recipe to make as a cake. Black Forest cakes are really very luxurious. Just bake this recipe in round tins (use 1½ times the amounts), trickle the cakes with kirschwasser and layer with whipped (Alpro) cream and tinned black cherries. This will knock the socks of anyone who says veganism is about deprivation!
¾ cup white flour
2/3 cup cold water or soya milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1¾ cups sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup cocoa powder
1½ cup white flour
¾ tsp baking powder
Optional: broken up, chipped or nibbed nuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350F.
- Whisk or puree the tofu, flour and water until smooth in a sauce pan, and whisk constantly over low heat until it thickens - about 10mins (don't boil it).
- Take off the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, salt, vanilla and sugar, until the chocolate chips are melted. Set aside to cool.
- When mixture is cool, mix in the oil. It can take about 20 minutes to cool, so give it a stir and/or put it in the fridge.
- Sift the 1½ cups of flour, the cocoa and the baking powder together. Fold in the tofu mixture until well combined and smooth.
- Spread evenly in a greased baking pan for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
Serves 30 people
Recipe supplied by Angela Tuson, East London, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews