Chocolate Mint Cake
Not light and fluffy, this chocolate mint cake is for those that enjoy heavier cakes. It is made with wholewheat flour which gives the cake a great nutty/grainy texture.
Serve this delightful vegan cake with chocolate sauce, either as a topping or as a pour-over sauce, and/or vanilla ice cream. Tastes especially good when chilled in the fridge.
3 cups flour (half cake flour and half whole wheat flour)
2 cups sugar
6 Tbsp cocoa (add more if desired)
2 tsp baking soda or powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
½ lemon's juice
4½ Tbsp of soy milk
3 Tbsp peppermint essence
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp corn starch
4 Tbsp cocoa
2 cups water
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Mix dry ingredients first. Once the mixture is even, mix in the liquid ingredients. Continue mixing until you obtain a smooth mixture with no lumps.
- Pour into a cake pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- For the sauce: Mix sugar, corn starch, salt and cocoa in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in the water.
- Heat over a medium heat until the mixture starts to gets thick and boil (make sure you don't boil too long, or it will set like toffee). Remove from heat and stir in the oil and vanilla.
- Cool and spread on the cooled cake.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews