Coconut Lentil Curry
A delicious, fragrant and creamy curry is my go-to comfort food, and it took me months to finally find a vegan recipe that lived up to the curries I used to know and lust after. It was just never the same, but after lots of experimenting I can finally say that I have found the perfect combination of ingredients to make the most delicious vegan curry.
The best part? It is as healthy as it is tasty – without tasting healthy (if you know what I mean!!) and it is super easy to make.
2 Tbsp coconut oil
3 large cloves of finely chopped garlic
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 Tbsp grated ginger
1 heaped Tbsp cumin
1 heaped Tbsp turmeric
1 can brown lentils
1 tsp cayenne powder (optional: depending on how brave you are)
1 Tbsp fruit chutney
1 can coconut milk
- Heat the coconut oil in a large sauce pan. Add the garlic and let it brown for about 2 minutes.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes, the grated ginger, cumin and turmeric; let it cook for about 5 minutes, while occasionally stirring.
- Add the lentils - and for the brave – the cayenne pepper. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir a few times to prevent the lentils from burning to the bottom. Stir in the fruit chutney.
- Stir in the coconut milk and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as needed and serve with cooked basmati rice.
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Mariza Halliday, www.caffeineandfairydust.com, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews