Coconut Oil Based Vegan Butter
This is a recipe that makes 1 cup of coconut-oil based vegan butter.
¼ cup + 2 tsp soy milk
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp coconut vinegar (if you can’t find coconut vinegar, substitute with ½ tsp apple cider vinegar so the total is 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
¼ + 1/8 tsp salt
½ cup + 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp (130g) refined coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp non-GM canola oil, light olive oil or rice bran oil
1 tsp liquid soy lecithin or liquid sunflower lecithin or 2¼ tsp soy lecithin granules
¼ tsp xanthan gum or ½ + 1/8 tsp psyllium husk powder
- Place the soy milk, apple cider vinegar, coconut vinegar and salt in a small cup and whisk together with a fork. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the mixture curdles.
- Melt the coconut oil in a microwave so it's barely melted and as close to room temperature as possible. Making smooth vegan butter is dependent on the mixture solidifying as quickly as possible after it's mixed. This is why it's important to make sure your coconut oil is as close to room temperature as possible before you mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Measure the coconut oil and add it and the canola oil to a food processor.
- Add the soy milk mixture, soy lecithin and xanthan gum to the food processor. Process for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides halfway through the duration.
- Pour the mixture into a mould and place it in the freezer to solidify. An ice cube mould works well. It should be ready to use in about an hour.
- Store the vegan butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, or wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer for up to 1 year.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
1 Comments / Reviews