Corn chowder is the ultimate in comfort food! Boasting an abundance of year round veggies, this meal is simplistic in its nature but provides a flavour delight to the taste buds.
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 peeled and diced carrots
2y chopped stalks of celer
2 medium peeled and diced potatoes
2 chopped onions
1 diced yellow and red pepper
2 cups of fresh or frozen corn
2 cups of cashew nuts
6 cups vegetable stock
2 sprigs thyme
1 Tbsp chopped chives
1 chopped tomato
2 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and add the garlic.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the chopped onions and cook until soft.
- Proceed to add remaining veggies - celery; carrots; peppers and potatoes.
- Fry for 5-6 minutes and ensure all veggies are well coated.
- Add in the sprigs of thyme followed by 6 cups of vegetable stock.
- let simmer on a low heat until potatoes are cooked through.
- Using the back of a spoon, mash some pieces of the potato to help thicken the soup.
- Add in the corn.
- In a blender, throw in 2 cups of cashews.
- Cover them with water and blend until the consistency is a thick cream.
- Remove thyme sprigs from the soup and add the cashew cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add chopped tomatoes and chives as garnish.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Misha Dhupelia, courtesy of The Conscious Cook, Johannesburg, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews