Delicious golden brown corn muffins are a favourite at breakfast time, but you can snack on them any time of the day.
1 Tbsp ground flax seed*
¼ cup warm water
1 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal**
1 cup polenta
1 cup cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp white or light brown sugar
¼ cup canola oilCorn muffins
2 cups water
½ tsp salt
* buy this at Dischem or a health shop – also known as linseed. Get golden linseed if you can as it looks better in the muffins. Grind in a coffee grinder and then store in the fridge or freezer. Can grind a whole packet and then put most in the freezer and some in a glass jar which can be kept in the fridge.
** Can buy this at Dischem – Nature's Choice. It is fine, like flour.
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees C.
- Spray or grease 6 giant muffin cups or 12 normal muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, beat together the flax meal, ¼ cup warm water and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, polenta, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add ‘egg’ (flaxseed) mixture, oil and water; stir until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tins and distribute evenly between them.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes (giant) and then turn down heat to 205 degrees C until muffins are cooked (test with tester or toothpick) – should take another 10 minutes but check after 5.
- For normal sized muffins, turn down after about 8 minutes and then check every 5 until the toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin tins as soon as possible and leave to cool completely on rack.
- Can be frozen in zip lock bags for up to a month. If frozen, leave to thaw at room temperature if you have time or, if not, defrost in a microwave and then heat in a hot oven for about 5-6 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with non-dairy margarine.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews