Courgette, Cranberry, Pumpkin Seed and Almond Bread
Check out this unusual bread recipes, packed full of nutritional goodness from courgettes, cranberries, almonds and pumpkin seeds.
⅔ cup non-dairy margarine
1 cup (or slightly less) light brown sugar
4-5 cups grated raw courgette
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp allspice
⅔ cup dried or fresh cranberries
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
½ cup raw almonds (coarsely chopped)
1 cup wheat bran
2⅓ cups whole wheat flour
⅔ cup normal soymilk
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp baking soda
½ tap baking powder
- Heat your oven to 180°C.
- Grease the bottoms only of 2 large loaf pans, or 3 medium loaf pans.
- Mix margarine and sugar in a medium-to-large bowl. Stir in courgettes, soy milk, and apple sauce. Mix in flour, wheat bran, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and baking powder. Stir in cranberries and nuts until evenly combined. Pour into pans.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves and remove from pans. Cool.
- This bread will remain moist, so it's a good idea to wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate (no longer than 10 days). Freeze first wrapped in foil and then in a zip lock bag.
- Notes: this can also easily become pumpkin bread by omitting the courgette and replacing it with about 450g canned or cooked and very well drained pumpkin.
- You can serve this as a breakfast bread warmed or lightly toasted.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews