Courgettes are a long green squash also known as a zucchini. Nutritious and with a delicate flavour, courgettes are quick and easy to cook. They contain vitamin A, potassium, folate, and are low in calories. These muffins easy to cook and are great for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup flax meal
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground ginger
½ cup coconut oil, melted
¾ cup agave nectar
¾ cup almond milk
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups shredded courgettes
- Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners (can also just spray muffin tin instead of liners).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Add the oil, agave nectar, rice milk, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is just combined. Do not over mix.
- Using a plastic spatula, gently fold in the courgettes just until they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Scoop the batter into each prepared cup, one third full.
- Bake the muffins on the centre rack for 22 minutes, rotating the pan 180 degrees after 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the muffins stand in the tin for 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeestpoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews