Vegan Cream Cheese
Cream cheese is a soft, mild-tasting cheese, typically with a high fat content. Traditionally, it is made from unskimmed milk enriched with additional cream. However, this cream cheese recipe is fat- and dairy-free, and vegan!
Cream cheese is meant to be consumed fresh and is comparable in taste and texture to Boursin and Mascarpone. It is not matured so it differs from other soft cheeses such as Brie and Neufchâtel.
3 cups cashew nuts, soaked for 12-14 hours
3 Tbsp red miso
2/3 cup rejuvelac
1 cup quinoa
5 cups water
- To make the rejuvelac: Soak 1 cup of quinoa in a glass jar. Cover with 2 cups or more of cool water. Stir the seeds ensure an even water contact. Soak them for 8-12 hours in low-light at room temperature.
- Pour off the water. Rinse - fill the jar fairly full with cool water, twirl vigorously, pour the water out, and repeat until the water runs out clear. Drain thoroughly during rinsing by shaking your jar. You want as little water as possible to remain in your jar between rinses.
- Let stand for 8-12 hours more then rinse and drain again.
- 8 - 12 hours later your seeds will have strted to sprout. Add 3 cups of water to the sprouts and place the jar in a low-light room at room temperature for 2 days. Your rejuvelac is now ready to use.
- In high speed blender, blend the soaked cashews with red miso and rejuvelac (use as little liquid as possible for best results in terms of texture) until smooth.
- Line the inside of a sieve with a double-thick cheesecloth and place on top of a bowl. Transfer the mixture to the sieve, cover with the cheesecloth and a towel and leave in a warm place to ripen for 14-16 hours. You may want to adjust the culturing time, depending on how 'strong' you like your cheese.
- Season for your own flavour variation. Alternatively, shape the mixture into a round, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, or until it firms up.
- Store in a fridge in an airtight container where it will keep for up to 3-4 days.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews