Dried Fruit Energy Bars
These slightly sweet, crispy and crunchy energy bars are packed with fibre-rich rolled oats, crispy brown rice cereal and an assortment of raw nuts, seeds and dried fruits.
1 cup brown rice syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp pure almond extract
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup oat bran
¼ sugar (optional)
1/3 cup sliced raw almonds
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup goji berries
1/3 cup date pieces coated in flour
1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Lightly oil a 9 inch baking tray
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, cook the brown rice syrup and sugar for 3-4 minutes or until the mixure begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, salt, cinamon and stir well to combine.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine the rice cereal, rolled oats, oat bran, sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins, date pieces, and dried cranberries.
- Pour the brown rice syrup mixture over the cereal mixture and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press evenly into the pan using wet hands.
- Chill the pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes until firm.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 bars.
- Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Antoinette Maake, Botriver, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews