Eggplant, Feta and Tsatsiki Sandwich
If you love grilled eggplant then this could possibly be the best sandwich you will ever make! The recipe has more than one component, but the individual recipes can be used for many other things in vegan food preparation.
1 french bread loaf cut into 4 pieces, or individual baguettes
1 large eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced long ways
1¼ cup plain almond/soy milk - must have heavy protein content (so rice and coconut milk won't do) ¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp dried basil
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups breadcrumbs (toast ordinary bread, add some nutrional yeast to it with fresh herbs, and blend it into crumbs in a food processor)
Rocket or your favourite greens
Baby beetroot (sweet and sour)
Vegan Feta Cheese:
1 block packed tofu, about 220g
¼ cup lemon juice (60 ml)
½ cup water (125 ml)
½ cup apple cider vinegar (125 ml)
1 Tbsp fresh oregano
1 cup Veganaise
2 small Israeli cucumbers, grated roughly (squeeze water out)
1 Tbsp apple cider
Seasalt to taste
1 tsp crushed fresh garlic
Vegan Feta Cheese:
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Spread eggplant slices out onto a large baking sheet. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt (about ¼ teaspoon or so per slice). Let stand for 30 minutes (you'll start to see the eggplant sweat). Rinse eggplant slices thoroughly and pat dry.
- While the eggplant sweats, whisk together the almond milk, whole wheat flour, parsley, basil, crushed red pepper, garlic salt, and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a large bowl.
- Take one eggplant piece at a time and dip it into the almond milk, coating, and then into the breadcrumbs, being sure to coat both sides evenly. Place on a lightly-greased baking sheet. Repeat with all eggplant slices.
- Bake eggplant slices in oven for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for another 8 minutes.
- While eggplant bakes, slice your French bread rolls along one side making sure to leave one side attached.
- To reheat the eggplant to make sandwiches at a later time, heat oven to 200°C and bake for 5 minutes on each side to crisp the panko up again.
- Remove tofu from bag and drain the water, use a clean dish cloth and place underneath, cover with another dish cloth and place something heavy on it for about 2 hours (can use a cast iron pot).
- Mix the other ingredients to make a marinade.
- Slice the tofu in feta-like blocks and marinade in the simple marinade for up to 3 days, the longer, the better.
- Mix together and use immediately.
- Assemble the sandwich, starting with the sliced lettuce and tsatsiki.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Pieter Kotzé, Langebaan, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews