The fruit used in this dessert can be almost any kind - most typical in the UK, they use cooking apples, rhubarb, gooseberries, plums, peaches, damsons, blackberries, raspberries or blackcurrants. Combinations are typical too, such as blackberry and apple. You can even used canned or frozen fruits instead of fresh, if you prefer.
1 can sliced peaches, drained
½ cup brown sugar, amount dependent on the sharpness or tartness of the fruit
2 Tbsp cinnamon
¾ cup plain flour
½ cup vegan margarine
2 cup sliced almonds
¼ cup caster sugar
Vegan vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 90°C (190°F).
- Place the fruit in a 1-quart oven-proof dish in layers with brown sugar.
- Sift the flour and caster sugar into a bowl.
- Rub the vegan margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then add the cinnamon and almonds, and mix well.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture thickly and evenly over the fruit.
- Press down lightly with the palm of your hand then smooth the top with a knife.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 175°C (350°F).
- Bake for a further 45 minutes or until top is lightly brown.
- Serve warm with vegan vanilla ice cream.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews