This is a simple falafel recipe. I prefer to bake them although they are usually deep-fried. This delicious Middle-Eastern dish works well as a meze or starter. Alternatively, falafel can be served in a pita bread with hummus, tahini, chilli sauce and some greens.
2 cups canned and drained chickpeas
1 large, finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp coriander
¾ tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 tsp flour
Olive oil, for coating the baking sheet
- Preheat the oven and lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Blend the chick peas, onion, garlic, parsley, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth. Add the flour and continue to process the mixture until it results in a thick paste.
- Form small balls from the mixture and flatten them slightly. If the mixture is sticky, wet your hands a little.
- Arrange the balls on the prepared baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning once after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve (preferably hot!).
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Antonia Dlagnekova, Pretoria, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews