Faux Chicken Style Prego Rolls
Prego rolls are breads smothered in traditional prego sauce, cooked in the oven, and often topped with cheese. They are usually filled with chicken or steak. Our vegan version here is made with chicken-style veggie strips.
2 French loaves
1 packet chicken-style veggie strips
¼ cup prego sauce
10 sliced mushrooms
½ finely chopped red pepper
1 cup grated vegan cheese
2 tsp tomato paste
Side salad (optional)
Grilled patti pan slices
Washed and chopped salad spinach
- Fry the chicken strips in some oil. Sprinkle on the BBQ spices and the prego sauce.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and red pepper.
- Cut the French loaves at a slight diagonal in order to make the pieces larger. Spread the tomato paste over the bread pieces.
- Lay the bread slices onto an oven proof tray and heat the oven to 180°C.
- Once the chicken mixture is cooked, spoon it carefully onto the bread and top with the grated vegan cheese.
- Cook in the oven for about 5 minutes, keeping a close watch. Remove when the cheese is melted.
- Serve with a side salad of grilled patti pan slices, spinach and beetroot.
Recipe supplied by Tammy Fry, Meat Free Mondays, Durban, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews