A braai can be just as exciting and delicious with healthy vegetarian foods as it is with meat dishes. Vegetables cooked on a braai can turn out much better than they do when steamed/grilled/boiled, which is what makes it so delicious to eat healthy!
This recipe includes cooking instructions for veggie sausage skewers (kebabs), roasted butternut and mielies on the grill.
4 Fry's Braai Flavoured Sausages
2 or 3 baby marrows
8 baby tomatoes
6 medium mushrooms
¼ onion, chopped into pieces that can fit on skewers
¼ yellow pepper, chopped into bite size pieces
6 skewer sticks
2 mielies (corn on the cob)
Veggie sausage skewers:
- Leave the frozen sausages to defrost until they are soft enough to skewer, then chop them into quarters.
- Add all of the chopped vegetables and sausages onto the skewers in the desired order.
- Lay the skewers on a tray and cover with steak sauce and spices. Cook on a medium heat braai, turning regularly until well cooked.
- Peel and chop a fresh butternut into chunks.
- Lay the chunks in thick foil, drizzle with olive oil and BBQ spices (or spice of your choice). Cook on a medium heat braai for approximately 30 minutes or until butternut is well browned and slightly crisp.
- Generously 'butter' the mielies and wrap in thick foil. Cook on the braai for approximately 40 minutes until soft and juicy.
Serve with a side portion of garlic bread or salad.
Recipe supplied by Tammy Fry, Meat Free Mondays, Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews