A Genoise Cake is a sponge cake named after the Italian city of Genoa. What makes the cake unusual is that it does not use any chemical leavening. Instead uses air suspended in the dough mixture during preparation to give the cake volume.
This recipe is a Vegan version of the Genoise cake. Make a classic Victoria Sandwich by filling the layers with fruit-sweetened jam or conserves and dust the top with icing sugar.
1¾ cups white cake flour (could use half wholewheat pastry flour)
1 cup light unbleached sugar, or white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ cup canola or sunflower oil
⅔ cup water
½ cup non-dairy milk
2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and the water and beat with an electric mixer for a minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat just until smooth.
- Divide equally between 2 x 8" greased and floured round cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cakes test as done.
- Cool on racks for 5 minutes, then loosen cakes and remove from the pans to finish cooling.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews