Ginger Lemon Baked Cheesecake
Cheesecake is a deesrt that has very ancient roots. It was first made by the ancient Greeks, then spread across Europe and the UK by the Roman Empire. At this point, each country began to develop their own unique version of cheesecake. It wasn't until the 18th century that the desseet began to take on the form recognised today and finally it was taken to the United States during the colonial period.
This vegan version of cheesecake uses tofu and cashew nuts as a cheese substitute.
One pack of ginger gluten free biscuits
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
⅓ cup coconut oil
½ cup of a gluten free flour
2 tsp sunflower oil
1 cup of soaked cashews
200g silken tofu
½ cup maple syrup
Pinch of salt
Juice of 2 lemons
Finely chopped lemon rind of one lemon
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp corn flour
1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Put all crust ingredients into a food processor with a metal 'S' blade. Process until ground, mixed and sticks together when pinched.
- Press the mix into the bottom of a spring form pan and put in the freezer.
- Next, put all filling ingredients in a blender and blend until silky smooth. Put the wet ingredients on the bottom to help it turn over. If you need to you can add a little water.
- Pour the mix onto the top of the base and tap the tin to settle it down. Put in a preheated oven at 180°C for 35 minutes or until it's firm (ish) to the touch and starting to turn golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool on the table for 15 minutes before putting in the fridge.
- Drizzle agave over the top before serving!
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews