Chowder is a thickened soup, often served with milk or cream and mostly eaten with saltine crackers. It is sometimes thickened with broken up crackers. This vegan chowder is 'glammed up' with sherry.
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
125 gm / 4 ounces firm tofu, finely diced
1 Tbsp soy margarine
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely diced
2 Tbsp unbleached white flour
4 cups vegetable stock or water
3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced
3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tspn dried summer savory or marjoram
Large pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
2–3 Tbsp dry sherry (optional)
2 cups soy milk, or as needed
Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and soy sauce or tamari slowly in a medium-sized skillet.
- Stir the diced tofu in quickly to coat, then turn the heat up to medium high.
- Sauté, stirring frequently, until browned and crisp on all sides, for about 12 to 15 minutes. When done, remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- In the meantime, heat the margarine in a soup pot.Add the onion and celery and sauté over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour a little at a time and cook for at least 2 minutes to remove any floury taste (lower heat if necessary).
- Slowly stir in the stock or water, then add the diced potato, corn kernels and dried herbs.
- Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, until the potatoes are tender and the corn kernels are done, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- With the back of a wooden spoon, mash a small amount of the potatoes to thicken the base.
- Then add soy milk as needed; the soup should be semi-thick but not overly dense.
- Add tofu and slowly bring the soup to a gentle simmer, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed.\
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Johannesburg, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews