Gnocchi with Toasted Walnuts in Curry Cream Sauce
This dish is a delightful fusion of Italian and Indian cuisine. It uses Italian potato-based gnocchi (which can be gluten-free) and Indian curry powder.
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1½ tsp salt, divided
500g fresh gnocchi (can use gluten free pasta)
2 tsp vegetable oil
¼ cup non-dairy margarine
3 Tbsp minced shallots
2 tsp curry powder
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
¼ cup minced fresh chives or thinly sliced green onions
- Bring a large covered pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt. When the water returns to a boil, add the gnocchi. Cook until they float.
- Drain well and transfer to a large bowl and toss with the oil. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the margarine. Add the shallots and curry powder and cook until the shallots are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and boil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you have about half a cup.
- Add coconut milk and remaining half teaspoon of salt and bring to a rolling boil. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi to the sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to heat through.
- Return the gnocchi to the serving bowl with the sauce, sprinkle with toasted walnuts and the chives or green onions.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews