Green Pepper and Cherry Tomato Pesto Pasta
It's impossible to think of Italian cuisine without a big bowl of warm pasta and some great wine. There's no denying that it's the ultimate in comfort food and what better way to spend an evening, either snuggled on the couch with a great pasta dish or engaging in interesting conversation over a tantalizing bowl of the very best food Italy has to offer. And what better than a dish you have cooked up yourself!
With this easy recipe, satisfy your tastebuds in just 20 minutes from fridge, to stove, to mouth...
Packet of egg free pasta (can use San Remo egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free spaghetti)
Coconut oil for frying
2 heaped Tbsp tomato purée
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Tbsp chopped chilli and garlic (can use PnP chopped, prepared chilli and garlic that comes in a small tub) 1 Tbsp dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the pesto:
2 handfuls basil leaves
1 Tbsp garlic
1 cup vegan parmesan
½ cup pine nuts
- Start by boiling a pot of lightly salted water and dropping your pasta in for approximately 8 minutes, or until al dente.
- In the meantime, chop your onion, pepper and tomatoes and throw them into a pan or wok with some coconut oil, the dried basil, chilli, garlic and salt and black pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent - about 5 minutes.
- Whilst that is cooking away, throw your pesto ingredients into the blender and blend together, adding as much olive oil as is required.
- Next, add the tomato purée and 3/4 tablespoon of water, to make a tomatoey paste.
- Then add the pesto to the pan, turn down the heat, simmer on a medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, throwing in a few basil leaves towards the end.
- Serve with some fresh rocket and you can also add some vegan cheese on top, if desired.
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Lisa Fine, Johannesburg, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews