Grilled Figs with Sweet Roasted Pecans and Cranberry Vinaigrette
Isolation rom convenience shopping can give you a 7th sense and that is to look at a simple ingredient and figure out a way to present it in a gourmet dish. Here we are going to make a rice vinegar reduction in order to grill the figs.
Rice Vinegar Reduction Figs:
1¾ cups rice vinegar
¼ cup agave nectar
½ tsp All Spice
Sweet Roasted Pecans:
⅓ cup agave nectar
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
2½ cups whole walnuts or pecans
Cranberry Vinaigrette :
1 shallot, peeled, cored and quartered
½ cup dried cranberries (soaked in hot water, let stand for 60 minutes)
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup avocado oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp agave or maple syrup
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
Making the Rice Vinegar Reduction Figs
Making the Sweet Roasted Pecans
- Bring the ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring a few times to combine. Boil, undisturbed, until reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Cut the figs in half. Brush with the rice vinegar reduction.
- Place figs cut side down on a grilling pan or on a Weber grill. Close lid and grill until softened, turning once. This should take about 5 minutes, depending on the size of the figs.
Making the Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- In a medium bowl mix all the ingredients together and toss in the nuts. Stir well to coat.
- Spread evenly on a greased, baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, watching carefully. Stir throughout to break up bigger chunks. Do not burn, it can burn quickly.
- Purée the shallot, cranberries, olive oil, vinegar,Avocado oil, thyme, syrup, salt and pepper in a mini prep, food processor or blender, until as smooth as possible.
- Decorate figs, nuts on a lavish bed of rocket and sprinkle dressing over.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Pieter Kotzé, Langebaan, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews