Hertzoggies are classic South African dessert tartlets. They are light and puffy, with a delectable apricot jam filling.
2 cups stone-ground organic cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
3 Tbsp Xylitol (or South African granulated sugar is fine)
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup soy or almond milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp pumpkin puree (can use Purity Organic)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the cake flour, baking powder, sea salt and Xylitol quickly in your blender.
- Add in the coconut oil, soy/almond milk, lemon juice and pumpkin puree. Blend until a solid ball stage (if not, add little bit of cold water to it).
- You can let the dough rest for a while and then roll it out. If you don't have enough time then do a simple process - less fuss, less mess. Spray a muffin pan out with cooking spray. Shape the balls and weigh off on your kitchen scale - 40g. Place the balls in a muffin pan and shape with your fingers. Dip your fingers in flour. Line the cups out with the dough. Place in a freezer.
- For the topping, place a teaspoon of apricot jam in the centre of the muffin pan. You can use berry jam also, the less sugar the better.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Pieter Kotzé, Langebaan, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews