Homemade mock turkey is a vegetarian alternative to turkey at Christmas time or other occasions, and it's a generally less expensive and certainly less cruel than a slaughtered large holiday bird.
Mock turkey is a popular meat alternative amongst many vegetarians, who avoid turkey for ethical or personal reasons. Mock turkey is free from turkey and other meat products, but still allows individuals to celebrate holidays with traditional meals.
4 blocks well pressed firm tofu
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1½ Tbsp sesame oil
1½ Tbsp dry sherry
3 Tbsp water
¼ tsp black pepper
- Freeze the tofu overnight. Allow it to thaw, and then press well to squeeze out all the extra water.
- Place the tofu blocks in a lightly greased bread pan, squeezing them as close together as possible.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour about two thirds of this mixture over the tofu, and refrigerate the remaining third.
- Cover the tofu in the pan, and allow to marinate overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- After marinating, pour the remaining soy sauce mixture over the tofu, then bake at 180°C (350°F) for 45 minutes, basting the extra marinade over the tofu once or twice.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and carefully flip it over. Bake for another 45 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with vegetarian gravy.
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews