Hummingbird cake is a banana-pineapple cinnamon-spiced cake, invented in Jamaica but now common in the southern United States of America.
1 cup dates-chopped
½ cup of maple or cane syrup
2 ripe bananas
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp Allspice and nutmeg
Pinch of sea salt
50g coconut flakes (use large flakes from Komati)
1 cup of Veganaise or any good vegan mayo
2 Tbsp flax and 4 Tbsp boiling water - mix and let rest
1 cup of minced pineapple
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda and baking powder
250g organic cake flour
For the Topping:
1 can chilled coconut cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp of psyllium husks
¼ cup maple syrup
Crunchy granola as topping
- Heat the maple or cane syrup and add it to the dates, then blend.
- Blend in the banana. Fold in the mayo, minced pineapple, flax mixture and coconut flakes. Mix spices, bicarb, baking powder and salt with the flour. Fold into the batter.
- Place in a 20 cm spring form pan and cover with foil. Bake in moderate oven for about 40 minutes at 160°C, uncover the foil and bake another 20 minutes until cooked.
- For the topping: whisk the coconut cream till stiff, add maple, vanilla extract and psyllium husks. Beat till stiff.
- Cover the cake with it. Sprinkle some syrup over the granola on a flat baking tray and bake till crispy. Keep an eye on it as it can burn. Let it cool down and sprinkle over the cake.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Pieter Kotzé, Langebaan, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews