Light Fluffy Scones
The easiest scones ever made – light, fluffy, vegan, and only 3 simple ingredients.
2 cups self-raising flour, plus 1 to 2 Tbsp of additional flour if necessary*
2 Tbsp sugar, plus 1 tsp
1½ cups canned coconut milk at room temperature, stirred, plus 1 Tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425 degrees F).
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and any additional stir-in's together. Stir in the coconut milk until just combined - don't over-do it!
- Put the mixture onto a floured surface and very gently fold 4 to 5 times until mixture is a nice even texture and no longer sticky. Do not over-mix the dough or it will become tough. The texture of the dough is dependent upon the additional flour added during this step. If your dough is still too sticky, add more flour and fold a couple more times. The dough should be a lovely texture that is not sticky, but also not dry. Be very gentle with it.
- Shape into an 8 inch square and cut into 8 triangles using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. It should be about an inch thick. Keep the pieces together.
- Brush the additional tablespoon of coconut milk on the tops and sprinkle with the additional sugar.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet, on the top rack of the oven, for 17 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes before adding any optional glazes.
- Serve immediately with jams, butters, fresh fruit, tea, or coffee.
- Note: You must use fresh self-rising flour for this recipe. Stale or old self-rising flour loses its rising power with time. You will end up with 'wallpaper paste' instead of fluffy scones if you use it.
- Optional stir-ins: Dried Spices (Nutmeg, Clove, Cardamom), Dried Fruit or Fruit (Currants, Blueberries, Strawberries, Raisins), Citrus Zest (Orange, Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit), Chocolate (Dark), Nuts (Pecans, Hazelnuts, Slivered Almonds), Preserved Fruit (Candied Ginger, Preserved Lemon Peel), Savoury (Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Black Pepper, Olives, Chives)
- Optional slazes or toppings: Citrus Glaze, Maple Glaze, Jams and Jellies, Caramel Sauce, Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Micheline, Ohio, USA
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews