A bisque is a thick and creamy soup originating from France. French food being what it is, this soup adds a refined touch to any vegan dinner party.
2 peeled and diced potatoes
1½ cup water
1½ Tbsp olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped stalk celery
2 punnets mushrooms (try brown and shitake for extra flavour)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp thyme
3 Tbsp dry sherry
2 tsp soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup soy milk
1½ tsp Himalayan salt
Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Boil or steam the potatoes and water until tender.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and then sauté the onions and celery for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, salt, garlic and thyme, cover and simmer stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the sherry, soy sauce, and pepper. Purée with the milk and the cooked potatoes until completely smooth and silky. Warm until heated through.
- Top with croutons and chives and serve.
- If you may prefer, reserve a mushroom or two and slice finely for garnish, along with a drizzle of truffle oil for a gloriously decadent and delicious start to a dinner party. Or just for you!!
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Toni Brockhoven, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews