This is a snack that might take your memory back to childhood days. Oat crunchie (or often simply called 'crunchie' or 'flapjacks') is an easy and cheap vegan snack. Full of energy, it is a worthy item in a packed lunch and is especially ideal for hiking trails or other sports breaks.
¾ cup margarine
2 Tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1⅓ cups all purpose flour
1 cup oats
¾ cup sugar
1 cup coconut (desiccated)
- Pre-heat an oven to 160°C
- Heat together the margarine and syrup. When the mixture starts to boil, add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl and mix in the oats, sugar and coconut.
- Add the margarine mixture to the dry ingredients and mix in with your hands.
- Press the mixture evenly into a greased pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 3 minutes and then cut into squares.
- Leave the crunchie for another 10 minutes or until set enough to remove from the pan. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Donna Henriques, Umkomaas, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
2 Comments / Reviews